Photos of successful students from the Feb 2012 exam... looking forward to the next round of successful students on Nov 16th


Looking forward to November 16th when I'll hear from the next round of students who passed the July 2012 exam.  Here are some pics of some students who passed in February, along with their testimonials. Again congratulations to all of you!

F.G., another successful Ventura College student, receiving a well-deserved bouquet of flowers from her husband
“I can't believe that my name is on the PASS list for the CA Feb 2012 Bar Exam! I would not have been able to do this without you. As a repeater, the thought of taking the bar exam again did not appeal to me at all this time around. YOU changed all that. You made me realize I can do this and preparing for the bar exam while balancing kids, family, activities, work, and life etc. was not easy but it can be done. Your personalized review was perfect for me - your method helped me structurally to keep my essays focused & to answer the call & watch my time, the MBE review helped me improve my reading and comprehension, and I very much appreciated your 1-on-1 feedback. PLUS you made sure I stayed on track. I am proof that your bar review approach works! I could not have passed the bar without you Steve! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!” F.G. (Ventura College of Law)

Ashley from Cal Western getting admitted

“I paid for BarBri for the July 2011 bar exam, and failed it.  I knew private tutors would be expensive, but if I wanted individualized help to figure out what I was doing wrong I needed a one-on-one tutor.  There are a lot of different programs and tutors out there, but after talking to a bunch of them, I liked Steve Zikman's methodology, strategy, and attitude the best.  He was very reassuring and positive when I felt like passing the bar was impossible.  His teaching style is individualized and he was able to assess all my weak points after reading my bar essays and performance tests from July.  For me, the cookie cutter Barbri approach wasn't working for me, which is why I chose Steve.  He developed a strategic and formulaic approach to essay writing and performance tests which was easy to learn, easy to follow, and made a huge difference in my essays and PT.  I compared my essays from July 2011 bar to the essays I was writing with Steve right before the Feb 2012 bar and the difference is astounding.  If I had known about Steve the first time I took the bar, I would have saved myself a lot of grief.  He's really worth the money.”
--Ashley P. (California Western School of Law)

P.S., another successful USD student, shaking hands with the judge who swore him in

“Steve helped me pass the bar after a near miss on my first time.  The best thing about Steve is his ability to spot your weaknesses, and give you strategies, tricks, and reinforcement to shore up those weaknesses.  Because he had spent so much time drilling down with me through my essays and multiple choice work, I felt confident in the potential to get the job done by the time exam day came.  Steve really takes the time to talk you through his analysis of your work, and provides great insight into how you can improve, pertaining to your specific areas that need work.  He got me to fight harder, and I fought my way to a pass with his help.” P.S. (University of San Diego)

C.L., another successful student from Golden Gate, upon her admission
“When I found out that I did not pass the bar exam on the first try, like many others, I was utterly devastated.  I had always been a decent writer and knew the substantive legal material like the back of my hand.  I couldn’t understand why I received such low essay scores.  Steve taught me that it’s not about how much information you put down on your answer, but it’s putting that information into the format that the bar graders expect to see it in.  Steve had me use a very specific formula for answering all of the questions which helped to manage my time and strengthen the structure of my response. I learned to not aim for the “perfect” answer, but instead write the answer that would garner the most points instead.  After practicing dozens of essays and PTs with Steve, which he goes over with you line by line, I knew that when exam day came, his formula would work.  And it did!  I passed the exam on my second try.  Steve is without a doubt the reason that I passed, and the ultimate mastermind in revamping your bar writing style.” –C.L. (Golden Gate University, School of Law) 

Ms. Lan, another successful Boston University student, shaking hands with the judge who admitted her
“After I had failed the CA bar exam 3 times, I finally realized that it was time to face up to my weakest points on the exam--the Essays and PTs. I had a passing score on MBEs on my 3rd bar exam, but my writing was a disaster. I was confident that I would pass my 3rd bar exam, but I did not, and my writing score was far below my expectations. After feeling deeply frustrated, I decided to find help. I searched for essay tutors online and read all the comments and reviews of all the tutors I could find, and I decided to give Steve a try. It has proven to be one of the wisest decisions I have ever made. The law was not a problem for me; I knew the law, but my application was a mess. Steve taught me how to organize the layout systematically in order to let the examiners easily find and understand all my analysis, how to add more analysis to impress the examiners, and he taught me how to do ‘real’ IRAC! After working hard with Steve for 3 months, my essays were finally all looking like the same no matter what topic I wrote, and that was so amazing! If you are in the same situation as I was (i.e. finding yourself stuck in Essays and PTs and having no idea what's wrong or how to improve them), I recommend you to Steve.  He helped my out of the hell that is the bar exam!”  --H. Lan, LL.M. (Boston University Law)

Paul, another successful Golden Gate student being admitted to the practice of law
“After failing the Bar for the third time; I knew something had to change. I found Steve Zikman, and discovered that I had not really been using a coherent strategy to tackle the Essays and Performance Tests. As a person who happens to be blind it was important for me to find a tutor/coach who would be totally comfortable working with me; Steve was that person--he took me on as a client without any reservations whatsoever. A coherent strategy from a professional, warm and caring person is what you get with Steve; I found his approach to Performance Tests headings and Essay strategy particularly useful.  Thanks to Steve I succeeded! I would highly recommend Steve to anyone seeking a highly structured approach.”  --Paul W. (Golden Gate University School of Law)

Congratulations James, another successful Southwestern student
“After failing the Bar twice, I retained the services of Steve for my third adventure with the exam.  Steve assessed my weaknesses, then provided me with specific strategies for both essays and the MBEs. MBE's in particular were my weakness. Working with Steve allowed me to approach the Bar with confidence--and I passed! Applying his methods, I was confident going into the exam handling any essay they would throw at me.  I have no doubt Steve is the major factor for my present success.   He is both demanding and caring, and working with him is the best move you can make.” –James G. (Southwestern Law School)

Matt from California Southern being sworn
“The Strategic Bar Coach program helped me pass the 2012 February bar exam on my 4th try. Steve knows exactly what these graders are looking for. His program is unique because he offers one-on-one assistance and he's serious about what he does. Something tells me he takes it personally when one of his students doesn’t pass. Steve showed me how to properly analyze and apply the law--how each element is broken down, analyzed and concluded, one element at a time. His style of writing makes it easy for the graders to look at your answer and determine if you got it correct right off the bat. His course made every subject approachable. His method of writing provided fail-safes and checks and balances so nothing got left out. His course provided a great way to take down a Professional Responsibility essay. Before I took Steve’s course I would just get an essay and go. My answers were all over the place and I was not focusing on the areas that I needed to focus on. I was not answering the call of the question. His approach made me answer the question that was in front of me, gave me confidence, worked on my timing, and formatting, corrected my major faults, changed my writing and tone, removed words that graders hate, gave me a jumping-off points, and most of all, got me to pass. I could not recommend this course more!” --Matt V. (California Southern Law School)

EJ from Cal Western taking the oath
“Steve focuses not on whether how many essays or MBEs you are practicing or touching before the test, but on whether how thoroughly you are analyzing and attacking each essay and MBEs in great depth.  Steve's method for essays really forced me to do more analysis on each issue more in depth, and his detailed advice on time management helped me timely write on each essay.  Steve's structure for essays was very helpful not only to please the graders but also to keep me clear and focused on what I was writing.  Steve has never been judgmental, but rather, he always helped me move on without frustration, even when I was stressed and not feeling good.  Steve was always keenly aware of my strengths and weaknesses.  When I walked into the test room, I felt prepared to attack any issues in any subjects, and as it turned out I was confronted with essay questions in the subjects that I had been most afraid of (Trusts/Wills, Constitution, Business Association, and Evidence), but my name appeared on the Pass List for the Feb 2012 CA Bar!  Thank you Steve… you saved my life!” --EJ P. (California Western School of Law)

Priscilla, another successful student from California Southern, at her swearing in
“I felt I knew the law but needed help with my essay structure and analysis. Steve provided me with his Flash Outlines for each subject. Going through practice essays, I would find facts to match to each element. Steve taught me the rules of law and also how to expand on my analysis. I was finding one fact when he showed me there were multiple facts to support each element and also taught me how to use outside knowledge and ‘common sense.’ Steve focused in on my weaknesses right away and drilled me until those weaknesses became my strengths. After just one session with Steve, I was ecstatic because I was learning. Steve prepared me so much, after taking the bar exam, I knew I passed, thanks to Steve!” --Priscilla H.  (California Southern Law School)

David, from UC Davis, being sworn in
“Steve helped me pass when no one--and seemingly nothing--could. My essays for Barbri and law school were never a problem, but the bar examiners continued to disagree. From our first session, Steve broke down my essays and showed me exactly how to write an essay that bar graders would appreciate. Steve helped me:  (1) Use a bar-specific IRAC method. It gave me a completely different writing style geared toward bar readers and meant to quickly highlight elements and analysis for points. Too many other programs simply ask you to recite carefully memorized rules and then tell you to IRAC it like you did in law school; (2) Optimize my organization and format. I used to think presentation for all 6 bar essays wasn't as big a priority as getting out all my memorized points, but Steve taught me otherwise. His organizational format helped me effectively lay down my points and gave my essays a strong and consistent frame that I could depend on to get my analysis out quickly and fully. This also helped during the bar exam, when I was able to continue writing even though I had blanked out from a confusing fact pattern and nerves; and (3) Improve my analysis. The bread and butter of the scores, Steve helped me focus and strengthen my analysis with every essay so that I would be able to wring out every point from every single fact.  Steve has years of experience and coaching. I appreciated his consistency and his time-honed practice, and Steve's confidence and support carried me through the ups and downs of the process while always making sure that I got better every week. When the typical essay scores cluster around an incredibly narrow range of 50 to 75, being able to improve so steadily was huge and helps explain Steve's phenomenal success rate.”  --David Chang, (University of California, Davis)

S. Taylor, from Western State, being sworn in
“After several failed attempts at taking the CA bar exam, I decided I needed one-on-one help. Steve Zikman's name kept coming up in my searches...and I'm so glad it did because I just found out I passed the February 2012 Bar Exam!!!! Steve's program is very simple and direct--for the essays and PTs he teaches you a basic format to use for any subject, any topic, ANYTHING the bar exam throws your way.  The formula for the essays and PTs just became second nature-- so when it came to the actual exam, I had the confidence to know that I could conquer anything they threw at me.  Steve has a program that is simple, straightforward and helps build your confidence to be able to take on the bar exam. He targets individual weaknesses and is able to get you to a point where taking the bar exam just feels routine.  It was through Steve's methods and tutoring that I was able to conquer the California Bar Exam!” --S. Taylor (Western State University College of Law)

Renee (left) at the Santa Rosa court with the Honorable Brad J. DeMeo, 
one of her former professors, and her classmate Greg (to Renee's left)
“Steve provides an invaluable, strategic writing approach for the CA bar exam essays and PTs.  The repeated, subject-specific writing practice helped me to develop the writing style needed to pass the exam.  Preparing for the exam is undoubtedly an arduous and time-consuming endeavor.  But Steve's method helped me to focus my time and energy on the skills needed to write passing essays and PTs, in addition to my reviewing the law covered on the exam.  Rather than simply a grade or generalized comments, he provided detailed, line-by-line review of my writing.  His feedback was specific yet concise.  He gets to the point, challenges you to do better with each writing assignment, and tells you how it is (not what you want to hear).  I found his writing templates and subject-specific approaches to be very helpful as well.  Further, I really appreciated the ability to speak with him personally on each evening of the exam. Those conversations helped me to focus on each remaining day of the exam and inspired me to give it my best, regardless of how I felt about the previous day.  Steve truly acts as your ‘personal bar coach’ throughout the whole process.” --Renee P. (Empire College School of Law)

And here are a few more testimonials from the February exam (pics to follow):

“I was a repeat taker who consistently fell into the re-read and even the triple read (yes it does exist) category until I signed up with Steve, the Strategic Bar Coach.  Steve's coaching program is unique in that it is specifically tailored for each student.  There is no ‘one size fits all’ coaching.  He helped me pass by helping me improve in every area of the bar exam to ensure a clear pass.  I totally trusted him and he taught me how to write above passing essays and performance exam answers.  I am a firm believer in ‘timing’ so if you are blessed enough to know about Steve's bar coaching program then I truly believe that it’s your time to pass.  I highly recommend The Strategic Bar Coach, without reservation.  If you follow ALL of Steve's instructions, passing the Bar will be your dream come true!  To your success.” S. D. (San Fernando Valley College of Law)

“Thank you for all of your help preparing me for the CA attorney's bar exam and for gently, yet persistently, encouraging me to leave the perfectionist out of this test! One of my biggest fears was that I would get a question on the exam and have absolutely no idea what was being asked or what to write. You helped me overcome this fear with your consistent encouragement to just write what I thought. And having practiced your structured and organized essay approach over and over again, despite the question, I always knew how to at least start writing. Equally helpful was your approach to the performance tests. I believe your tips for this portion of the exam distinguished my answers from those of other test takers and aided me and making my first attempt at this exam successful!” --Holly B. (American University, Washington College of Law)

“I consider myself the ultimate proof that Steve's system works. I graduated law school in 2007.  Because of my full time job, getting married, and having a kid, I didn't take the bar until two years later. Using one of the ‘big names in bar prep, I went through the motions, and ended up with a score in the 1200's. Disappointed, I decided to move on without the law.  Two years later, needing a change, I decided to take the bar again, and somehow I found Steve. We spoke throughout the decision-making process, and then my wife and I made the commitment. However, now four years removed from law school, I was essentially starting from scratch, so I decided to invest in the unlimited package. We started in September and never looked back. I trusted Steve, his process, his system, and did what was asked. I passed the bar, and truly believe my score was in the top percentile; and if not, who cares… because I passed the bar. Good luck!" –D.M. (Trinity Law School class of '07)

“I can't express enough how essential Steve’s bar prep services were for me passing the bar the 1st time.  I know I would not have passed if I had taken one of the traditional bar prep courses.  My writing needed improvement and I only would have gotten that through the special attention of Steve’s one-on-one tutoring sessions.  Steve was able to spot my weaknesses early on, so that I was able to overcome them and be successful.  He not only helped me analyze the facts in order to write a passing essay but how to do it so I was actually finishing them within the time frame.  It also helped that he started working with me early on.  Thanks again!” --S. Seyb (Trinity Law School)

“After failing the July 2011 bar by a small margin I decided I wasn’t going to take any chances in February.  I hired Steve Zikman to help strengthen my essay writing and performance test skills.  Steve has a very clear and methodical approach.  He helped me to deepen my analysis and to be more thorough when issue spotting.  I’m thrilled to report that my name was on the pass list for the February 2012 exam.” –R.D. (Loyola Law School)

“As a repeat-taker, I was in need of some personalized, guided assistance to finally eradicate this burden from my life; I didn't need another run-of-the-mill bar prep course. During the convenient telephone sessions (I was working while studying), Steve helped me to discover patterns in the MBE questions I was getting incorrect and therefore ingrain in my mind so I would not make the same mistakes on test day. Further, the PT sessions greatly increased my confidence - after receiving constructive criticism and helpful writing and organizational tips (using key phrases in strategic areas, creating a chart as a roadmap, etc.), my writing and structure progressively comprised not only a simple 65 passing PT answer, but those that look like 70 and 75 answers with further feedback on how I can improve. In all, Steve was a tremendous resource in making this my last bar exam--he was always available, via phone or email, to answer any question or provide additional guidance I needed. Give him a call--his services are absolutely worth it!” --Mark I. (California Western School of Law)

“I’m a full time attorney with a demanding practice, my wife is a full-time student, and we have three kids—in addition our church and community activities.  While juggling all of this, I decided to take the California bar.  A traditional bar review course did not seem like the answer.  I needed someone who could prepare me to actually write for the bar examiners--not just learn the law.  I learned the law in law school and knew I could get back up to speed.  However, it had been over 12 years since I had written a bar exam answer.  Steve Zikman and the Strategic Bar Coach was the perfect fit for me.  His outlines were extremely insightful, he kept me on a consistent schedule, and most of all taught me how to write for the bar examiners.  That is the first rule for attorneys--write to your audience.  I highly recommend him to anyone taking the bar and most especially to out-of-state attorneys taking the California bar for the first time.” –Kris Bailey (California Western School of Law)

“After getting over the shock and disappointment of not passing the California Bar the first time around, I searched the internet for private tutors.  Steve's name came up and all of the reviews were very positive so I decided to give it a shot.  We went through my scores to find out the areas I needed to work on and came up with a schedule.  Steve helped me understand that on the essays it’s not necessarily how much law you can memorize, but how you present what you know to the grader.  On the PTs, he taught me a great method for working my way through the file so I wouldn’t have to keep flipping back and forth trying to find what I was looking for.  Well worth the investment!” --Travis S. (University of Oklahoma School of Law)