Some New Testimonials from My Latest Roster of Passing Students for Feb 2014


“After my third unsuccessful attempt at the California Bar Exam, I decided to look for a tutor. I had taken the Barbri course right after law school and used their materials to study on my own for the next two attempts. The Barbri information was overwhelming and I started to feel less and less confident going into the exams. Steve’s techniques are very useful and working with him gave me back the confidence I had been losing with every unsuccessful exam. He helped me tremendously with the organization and structure of my essays and PT’s. I also found the line-by-line review and multiple revisions to be extremely useful and very different from how Barbri works. Steve is also very good with time management; I felt like I was spending enough time on each area of the exam and I wasn’t overstressed during the final days before the exam. I am incredibly happy I reached out to Steve for help and recommend him to anyone looking for help with the California Bar Exam.” --Paige Cabral (University of San Francisco School of Law)

“The first time I took the Bar I was woefully unprepared. As I started the preparations for my second go, I remained skeptical of my ability to overcome the 230-point gap between my first score and passing, with Barbri and my wits alone. I worked with Steve on the Essays and the PT’s. Steve’s ‘elementalized’ system of writing will make you a more effective writer and thinker. Even when I began to memorize the black letter law, I processed it using Steve’s system, helping both my ability to recall the law and ability to effectively apply it to the facts.  Most importantly, Steve does not pull any punches during the tutoring process. Steve goes through your essays line by line, and points out what you need to do to improve. In the end, whether you pass the Bar will have everything to do with the work you put into the studying process. That being said, working with Steve will give you invaluable tools, information, and guidance to overcome the Bar.  Good luck!” --Rory D. (UC Hastings College of the Law)

“After I was unsuccessful on my first California bar exam attempt, I felt lost because I had put forth a completely concerted effort in my preparation for all three portions.  Fortunately for me, there were 2 attorneys at my firm who had gone through the same experience I had, and found Steve to help them pass on their second attempt.  Dylan and Will recommended Steve wholeheartedly and I decided to hire him immediately.  As it turns out, I was not writing my PTs and Essays how the graders wanted to read them.  Steve provided the framework and guidance on how to write the PTs and Essays exactly how the graders want them presented.  My scores were very low on the PTs and that is where most of the opportunity lies on the exam since they are worth 2 essays each.  Simply having a step-by-step approach to any PT that was thrown at me on my next attempt helped put me over the top with a passing score.  Steve is flexible and will diagnose your score report and recommend a program to fit your needs, whether it be help with MBEs, Essays, or PTs, or any combination of the three.  Steve is a true coach, which means he tells you what you are doing poorly and tells you what you are doing well.  If you chose to use Steve you must trust in his constructive criticism and not take it personally.  Without making mistakes, you will never know how to improve and most importantly, PASS THE BAR!  The quicker you can deal with the failure, the quicker you will be ready for success.  Simply heed his coaching, and implement his tips on your next practice exam, and then it will become a habit.” --Seth G. (University of San Diego School of Law)

“Steve’s tutoring was invaluable!  Without his expertise and guidance I don't believe I would have passed the California attorney bar exam.  This was my 4th time taking a bar exam (I took and passed NY on the 1st try in '99 and failed CA 2x before) so I have plenty to compare it to.  What I feel made the biggest impact and difference was Steve's method of teaching.  Admittedly, I had some reservations when I first spoke with him because other tutors told me I would do so many more essays with them but I am glad I trusted my gut instinct in the end.  Steve has a very intensive experiential method and technique.  He teaches you how to think for the exam and what the examiners are looking for.  He provides valuable insight into the grading process and teaches a standardized approach to answering essays and PTs that can and should be used for very answer.  Thanks to these tools, even when I didn't feel I had any clue what to answer, I was able to begin writing and to make far more educated choices on how to answer the questions saving me valuable time and eliminating a tremendous amount of anxiety.” --Gila Lee Adato (New York Law School)

“Steve provided me with the tools I need to pass the CA bar. I struggled with the MBE section of the bar exam.  His approach to tackling the MBE's including his ‘MBE Drilldowns’ helped me move away from the mystery which I often felt about the answers to a much better understanding of what was the correct answer, and why. In doing so, I was able to improve my score tremendously. The template Steve provides for the PT helped me organize the law and facts and see the bigger picture. Trust in Steve's process, put in the hard work and you will see results!” --Melody K. (Whittier Law School)

“I failed the July CA bar exam on my first try and I knew I wanted my next attempt to be the last one. My weakness was the MBEs. I had a very, very low score, and I knew I needed help. Steve let me know right at the beginning what the study plan would be and how we would focus on strengthening my MBEs as well as making my writing stronger. Even though I couldn't start studying until January, Steve was very accommodating.  Through a lot of hard work, I steadily saw my MBEs increase, and I was way more confident when exam day came.  I know I passed because Steve was my tutor!”  --S.S. (Northeastern University School of Law).

“Steve is awesome! I improved my score by over 150 points to pass after working with him for about a month. He is strict and methodical in his process.  I did exactly what he told me and trusted his process. I worked really hard, and he challenged me. I believe he was the difference I needed to get over the hurdle and pass.  BarBri was not for me, and Steve was without a doubt the best decision I could have made with regards to my studying.” --Anna (Penn State)

“If you are looking for a quality Bar Exam tutor Steve is your guy! During my first attempt at the bar, I was really struggling in 2 areas: organization for the Performance Tests and low MBE scores. With Steve’s help, I was able to develop an efficient structure and approach that allows the grader to find everything they are looking for, thereby maximizing your score. My PT went from 50s during the first attempt, to solid 65-70 by the time I was ready to take the Bar the second time. In regards to the MBEs, working with the Adaptibar program was amazing. They test the same type of fact pattern in many different varieties which allows you to get a very solid grasp on difficult subject areas. Overall, I truly believe that Steve was the ‘difference maker’ this time around. His motivation and genuine willingness to help gave me the extra kick I needed to tackle this beast they call the CA Bar Exam!” --Ryan A. (Whittier Law School)

“I have just found out that I passed the CA Bar first time and I have no doubt that it was thanks to Steve. As a lawyer from England, I worked with Steve on the Performance Test part of the exam in some intense sessions during the last 6 weeks before the exam. Steve's approach is rigorous and methodical. He has a great method for working on a Performance Test question that made practicing the tests more approachable and achievable and, most importantly, going into the exam much less daunting. Each time I felt I had ‘got it,’ Steve was quick to point out how to do better, how to write a more 'on point' answer and how to help the grader see my answer. This constant breaking down and building up was essential to my success. Steve is a ‘coach’ in the true sense and his ‘pre-exam’ tips were helpful in terms of content and confidence. He even arranged to speak to me right before the last Performance Test exam; I can honestly say that speaking to him at that exhausting stage in the process made all the difference to help me re-focus and conquer the final exam. He takes a strong approach so you get it right, and I really can’t recommend him enough. Thanks Steve!” --Phoebe Kirk, London

“Steve is a terrific coach that will keep you on task and on schedule.  His course is perfect for students who need a little more structure, attention and accountability than Barbri can offer.  I failed the first time in July and started studying for the February exam while I was still working.  The experience of having a set timeline was invaluable when I had to juggle work and bar review.  Steve's method is straightforward and easy to grasp, taking out a lot of the unknown intangibles of the essay writing and the PTs.  Steve's programs are ideal if you need a direct, no-nonsense approach.” --Mimi Cheng (University of Pennsylvania)

“For the California bar exam knowing the law isn’t always enough, you have to know how to take the exam and present your knowledge properly.  Steve helped me pinpoint what the graders were looking for and provided a framework that could be used for every essay and performance test, regardless of the subject. Steve was able to motivate me to work through hundreds of MBE and finally recognize patterns within the questions.  I followed Steve’s method and used his feedback to improve my test taking strategy and once exam day arrived I was confident I was writing passing answers.” --Alexa M. (Suffolk University Law School)

“Steve was a huge help for me when studying for the Bar Exam, and I would absolutely recommend him for anybody studying for the Bar Exam. The biggest way that Steve helped me personally was in improving my essay and performance test structure. A large portion of what I worked on with Steve was making sure that my essays and performance tests were structured in the best way possible. I felt very comfortable during the Bar Exam after all of the work that I did with Steve on practice essays and practice performance tests, and I believe that my essays were much easier for graders to score well after that work as well. Steve also helped me greatly with the MBE section of the Bar Exam, and after doing a few drill downs my MBE score increased greatly. I learned a great deal about how to approach the MBE section, and that was a big boost to my score.” --Adam (Boston University)

“I was seven years out of law school, was already licensed in two other states, and the CA attorney exam was the last thing I wanted to study for. I thought I could just study by myself and somehow wing it.  Needless to say, I failed the first time.  Then my friend recommended Steve to me.  I decided to hire him based on high recommendations from my friend and others. Steve's approach is straightforward, formulaic, and really helped me to develop a way to tackle each subject matter.   His Flash Outlines were also extremely helpful in parsing down the laws into easily digestible form. They were so much better than the outlines I was able to develop myself. Most importantly for me, I was forced to practice many essays and PTs, and Steve provided very crucial feedback for each. At the end of each session, I understood exactly what I needed to improve and how to work on it.  Thanks to Steve's coaching, I passed this time!” –Y.X.L (Georgetown University Law Center)